Pages

Hadhrat Umar fear of Allah afetr lashing a man during his Khilafah


Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) and the Fear of Allah.

Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) would often hold a straw in his hand and say:
"I wish I were a straw like this."

Sometimes he would say: "I wish my mother had not given birth to me."

Once he was busy with some important work when a person came to him and, complaining about some petty grievance, requested for its redress. Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) laid a lash across his-shoulders, saying:

"When I sit for that purpose, you do not come to me but when I am engaged in other important work you come with your grievances to interrupt me."

The person walked away. But Hadhrat 'Umar (Radhiyal-laho anho) sent for him and, handing his whip over to him, said: "You now lash me to even the matter."



He said: "I forgive you for the sake of Allah." Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) went home, prayed a Salaat of two rakaats in repentance and upbraided himself saying:

"0, Umar! You were low but Allah elevated you. You were wandering astray but Allah guided you. You were base but Allah ennobled you and gave you sovereignty over His people. Now one of them comes and asks you for redress of the wrong done to him, and you beat him? What answer have you to give before Allah?"


He kept on chiding himself thus for a very long time.