Pages

Pious Aulia story (Fiends of Allah) motivation Repentence blessings

Stories of the Pious


By Shaykh Ahmad Ali
Introduction:
All praise is due to Allah, The Most Beneficent and The Most Merciful. We praise Him, and seek His forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evils of ourselves and the mischief of our deeds. Whomsoever Allah guides cannot be misguided and whomsoever Allah misguides cannot be guided. Peace and blessings be upon the final messenger, Muhammad (SAW), upon his family and his noble companions Ameen.
Whilst on a visit to Darul-Uloom AI-Arabiya, Lancashire; in search of material for a lecture, by chance I came across a very beautiful piece of work. It was the book 'Rawdur-Ryyahen Fee Hikaayaat as-Saliheen' written by a master of the 7th century. The book contains around 500 beautiful stories about the pious, their experiences and their karamaat (miracles). Having read this book I was very intrigued, and realizing that the author had compiled these stories because of his love for the Awliya; immediately the thought of translating the book and benefiting the English speaking Muslims came to mind. However, fearing that I may not be able to complete the translation of the whole book I decided finally to at least translate a few stories to express my love for the Awliya. I hope one day Allah will give tawfiq to somebody to translate the whole book.
The author of the original work, which consists of around 600 pages and 500 stories, was Afifud-Din Abdullah bin As'ad Al- Yamani al- Yafi'ee as-Shafi'ee. Born 696AH near Aadan, Yemen; he was a man of great capability which began to show at a very early age. He benefited from, and studied under, Qadi Najmuddin at-Tabri; Radi -ud- din at- Tabri; Salih Mohammed bin Ahmad al Bassal; Shaykh Sharfud Ahmad bin ali al-Harazi. Acknowled and praised by his teachers he was a great scholar who spent his life serving the deen and his 44 works bear witness to this. His most famous work was 'Rawdur-Raiyaheen'. He died in 768AH (May Allah grant him paradise).

Cheap ticket to Paradise:
A man from a respectable background came to Balkh in Iran, accompanied by his wife and daughters. Shortly after their arrival the man fell ill and later died, leaving his wife and daughters. Without his support they became poor and suffered. So fearing the mockery of enemies, she fled Balkh with her daughters to another town. On the day she arrived the weather was very cold, so she left her daughters in a mosque and went out in search of food. She passed by two groups of people. One was gathered around a Muslim who was the Sheikh and the other group around a Zoroastrian (Majusi) who was the security officer of the city. She first went to the Sheikh and described her situation saying, "I am a woman of a respectable family, with daughters whom I have left in the local mosque, I have come in search of food." He asked her, "Bring me proof that you are from a respectable family." She replied, "I am a stranger in this town and therefore do not know anyone to testify for me." She departed from him brokenhearted. She then went to the Zoroastrian and explained her situation to him, telling him about her noble background and her orphaned daughters who were,waiting her return. She also mentioned to him how the Sheikh had treated her. The Zoroastrian stood up and sent some womenfolk to bring her daughters and took all of them to his house. There he showered them with honour and generosity. He fed them fine food and clothed them in rich garments. That night the Sheikh saw in a dream the Day of Resurrection and the banners were unfurled around the Prophet (Peace be Upon him). Ahead of him, was a green palace made of emeralds, its balconies of pearls and rubies and domes of pearls and corals. He asked the Prophet (Peace be Upon him), "Messenger of Allah, for whom is this palace?" The Prophet (Peace be Upon him) replied, "For a Muslim." The Sheikh replied, "I am a Muslim!" The Prophet (Peace be Upon him) said, "Prove to me that you are a Muslim?" At that, the Sheikh was dumbstruck. The Prophet (Peace be Upon him) then said, "You asked a woman to produce proof of her respectability, and therefore my question to you, is can you produce proof that you are a Muslim?" At this point the Sheikh felt remorse about his treatment towards the woman and her orphaned daughters. In the morning, he immediately set out to find the woman. He learnt she was staying with the Zoroastrian and so called for him.   When the Zoroastrian arrived, the Sheikh requested that he sends the woman and her daughters to him. The Zoroastrian replied, "Under no circumstance! I have received great blessings from her." The Sheikh said "Take a thousand dinars ftom me and bring them to me." He shouted, "Impossible! The one who showed you the palace in your dream has made it (the palace) for me. Are you surprised because I am not a Muslim? By Allah, I did not sleep last night, before I and my family accepted Islam at that noble woman's hand, and I dreamt something similar to what you dreamt; the Messenger of Allah (Peace be Upon him) asked me, "Is that noble woman and her daughters with you?" I replied: "Yes, Messenger of Allah."        The Prophet (Peace be Upon him) said, "This palace is for you and your family.    Allah created you a believer in preeternity." At that the Sheikh remained sorrowful and grieved for the missed opportunity of earning a lofty position in Paradise, due to his neglect of the widowed woman and her daughters. Allah's Messenger (Peace be Upon him) has said, "The one who strives on behalf of the widow and the needy is like a warrior in the path of Allah". (Bukhari and Muslim,) May Allah guide us to what is right for indeed, He is Generous, the most Kind, the most Merciful!
Dirhams from the Sky:
Abdul Wahid Bin Zaid relates, I purchased a slave on the condition that he serves me. Once, when it became dark I looked for him in the house, but could not find him. Early in the morning he came and presented me with a dirham. I asked, "Where did you get it from?" He replied, "I receive a dirham daily and will only give it to you on the condition that you do not ask for me at night." He would disappear every night and return in the morning with a dirham. One day my neighbours approached me and shrieked, "O Abdul Wahid sell your slave. He is a grave digger!" This news depressed me. After this I decided to keep a vigilant eye on him. That night after Isha Salah, the slave stood up to leave, he pointed to the door and it opened. He made his way to the second door and did the same and then the same again to the door from which I was watching him. He left the house so I followed him till he reached a stretch of barren land. He took off his clothes and put on a cloth sack and prayed till Fajr. He then lifted his hand towards the heaven and said, "Oh my Master, give me my small masters pay". A dirham then fell from the sky. I was mystified and amazed at this. I stood up and performed two rakats and sought forgiveness from Allah, from the evil thought that had crossed my mind. I promised myself that on returning, I would free him. As I made by way back I looked for him but could not find him. He was no where to be seen. All of a sudden a knight on an armoured horse appeared. He asked, "Oh Abdul Wahid what are you doing here?" I related the incident to him. He then inquired, "Do you know the distance from here to your city?" Oblivious to where I was, I replied in the negative. He informed me that I was approximately two years travelling distance from home. He then said, "Do not move from here till your slave returns tonight". When it became dark my slave came. He came with a tray full of food and greeted me with joy and said, "Eat my master, you should not have followed me here". I ate while he prayed till Fajr. Once he had finished he held my hand and walked a few steps. Instantly we were back to my house. He said, "Oh master now that we are back, did you not make the intention to free me?''  I replied affirmatively. He added, ''Free me and take the money you paid for me and you will be rewarded''. He then picked up a stone and gave it to me. I looked at it. Astonishingly it had rurned into gold. The slave soon left. His departure saddened me. Later I met my neighbours and they asked, ''What did you do with the grave digger?'' I replied angrily, He is a 'Noor' digger and not a grave digger.'

Story of an idolator:
Abdul Wahid b. Zaid (mercy be upon him) who belonged to a lineage of saints said, "We were once sailing in a boat. A gush of wind blew away our boat to an island where we saw a man busy adoring an idol. We asked him what he was worshipping. He pointed towards the idol. We said to him that this idol was made with his own hands. How could he worship it? The God whom we worship creates all such things Himself, and so deserves to be worshipped, alone." He then asked us, who do you worship? We told him, "We worship the Great God (Allah) who lives in the highest heaven. He alone controls the heavens and the earth. All other creatures whether human or animal depend on Him for their sustenance." He further asked how we came to know about this Glorious God. We replied, "He sent His final Messenger (Peace be Upon him) to the whole of mankind to teach them about His Greatness." He proceeded to enquire "Let me know of the place where this Prophet of God is?" We replied, "After the Prophet had completed his mission by conveying the message of God he died and returned to his Lord". He continued to ask, "Did this Messenger of God leave behind a thing for your guidance?" We explained, "Yes, he left behind a Book (the Qur'an), which was revealed by God. He asked to see the book. We offered him the Holy Qur'an. He told us he was unable to read and so we recited a few verses for him instead. During the course of its recital he repeatedly wept until we stopped. He finally asserted, "This can only be from Allah, the Most High", and immediately confirmed his Faith in Allah and His Messenger. We informed him about the duties of Islam and also explained some verses of the Holy Qur'an. After the late night prayer we went to bed and the man continued to ask questions. "Does Allah sleep at night? he wondered aloud as we lay comfortably in our beds. "Our Exalted God is Everliving and Everlasting. He does not sleep or rest!" we exclaimed. On hearing this he cried, "What disobedient slaves you are! Your Lord keeps awake, whereas you sleep!" We were dumbstruck by his remark. When we were about to return from this island, he begged us to take him with us to allow him to learn more. We agreed. On reaching the city of 'Aabadan, says Abdul Wahid, I said to my companions, "This man is our brother, therefore we should provide him with some livelihood". Some dirhams were offered to him but he refused to accept them and exclaimed, "What is this?" We replied, "These are some dirhams for your expenditure." He said, "It is enough that.you have shown me the right path. I was upon error and Allah guided me. I did not even worship him yet He neither destroyed nor killed me. I am so grateful to Him and you After a few days, we were told that he was about to breathe his last. We went to see him and asked him if there was any need of his to be satisfied. He said no and that he was happy with all that he had gained from Allah. Abdul Wahid said, " I was all of asudden, overcome by sleep and hence slept there. While sleeping, I saw a very fertile grden wherein was avery fine vault; a throne occupied by a verybeautiful girl, a beauty that I had never seen before. She said to me , 'By Allah, I returned him toHis Lord quickly', By seeing her in such a state I became very anxious. He addeded, ''When I woke up , the man had passed away. We managed to bury him immediately.'' Again at night, said Abdul Wahid; ''I witnessedthe same garden, the same vault and the sanme girl sitting besides the man who had died. She was recitting the following Qur'anic verse, the transalation of which is ''And the Angels vist them from each door and send them their compliments, glad tiddings for peace and safety against each kind of misfortune. All this is the fruit of your contentment (and steadfastness for the religion of Islam). There is therefore a good reward for you in the Hereafter.''
This story of the idolator shows the Greatness of Allah and His Mercy towards the man who previously worshipped idols. He sent the people to the island as a means to guide the idolator and thus rewarded him a magnificent rewardin the hereafter.
 
''O Master of the world ! Whom Thou giveth to, nobody can withhold and whom Thou giveth not, no one can confer upon him.''

The ultimate Test:

Abu-ul-Hassan Siraj (mercy be upon him) said, "One day I set out for the performance of pilgrimage (Hajj). As I was making a circuit (Tawwaf) around the Holy Ka'ba, I happened to see a fair-faced woman. I said to myself, By God! I have never seen a woman with such beauty before. Perhaps she has all this beauty as she may not have suffered any grief or sorrow." She heard this statement and said, "What did you say? By God! I am immersed in grief and my heart is afflicted with adversities and misfortunes and there is no one to share with me the pangs of grief." I asked her, "What has happened to you?" She replied, "My husband slaughtered a goat. My two small children were playing with each other and another was in my lap. As I got up, one of the children said to the other, "Shall I tell you how our father slaughtered the goat?" The other replied in the affirmative. Consequently, he. laid his brother on the ground and killed him like a goat. He then ran away on account of fear, and climbed up a mountain where a wolf devoured him. His father went out in search of him and, during the course of his quest, he died due to the intensity of thirst. I left the infant to sit and went towards the door of the house. The infant then crawled to the fire upon which the earthen pot was hung. As soon as he touched it, it fell and scolded him. As result his body was burnt removing the flesh from the bones. I had one daughter left who was married. When she came to hear of this, she fell unconscious and died. It was I who was left alone." Shocked by this I asked her, "How did you bear all these misfortunes?" She said, "A person who would ponder over patience and impatience, would see much difference between them. The reward for patience Is great and for impatience, there is no reward." Then, she recited the following three couplets which read: "I endured because endurance is the best thing to rely upon.    If any advantage could be obtained by impatience, I would have adopted it. I endured many a misfortune, misfortunes of such intensity that if they were to have fallen on a mountain, it would have been reduced to dust. I have exercised full control over my emotions and never shed a tear. Now they are falling in my heart."

Repentance of Malik bin Dinar:
Malik bin Dinar narrated the following story about himself, saying, "I was a man who indulged in fun and enjoyment and suffered from an overwhelmingly addiction to wine. I bought a slave girl with whom I was very happy. She later gave birth to a beautiful girl who I loved dearly. I saw her progress from crawling to walking. Whenever I sat down for a drink, she would come and take the cup from my hands and spill the wine on the ground. At the tender age of two years she died and left me grieving. It was the night of the fifteenth of Sha'ban and I fell asleep drunk. I saw in my dream that it was the Day of Resurrection and I came out of my grave with a huge sea serpent after me. I began to run but it chased me. The faster I ran, the faster it came. I passed by an old  man dressed in clean garments who was very weak. I called out to him "O Sheikh, please save me from this monster!" He replied, "O my son, I am a very old man and this monster is too powerful for me,. I cannot prevail from it. Perhaps if you carry on someone else may be able to help you.''

I continued to run, with serpent still following me. I passed by a pit of blazing fire and was about to fall into it, but someone said, ''You are not its inhabitant,'' On hearing this I turned and ran towards the mountain, I found that there were many gates to it and each gate had guards. A voice called out, ''Let this wretched man in before his enemy captures him.'' The gates opened and I saw a group of children there faces shone like the moo, and among them was my little girl! She came towards me like a beam of light and with her right hand hit the serpent, which then fled. She sat by me and said, ''O  my father, has not the time arrived for the heart of those who believe to submit to Allah's reminder (Dhikr) and the truth (Quran) which has been revealed?'' I replied, ;;O my child, do you know the Qur'an?'' She answered, ''I learnt it from you.'' I the asked, ''O my daughter, What are you doing here?'' She said we are Muslim children who have died and we will live here until the Day of Resurrection and wait for our parents.'' At this I said , '' O my daughter, who was that monster chasing and trying to kill me?'' She said, ''O my father, that was your bad deeds, which you accumulated and could have destroyed you.'' I then asked, ''And who was that weak old man?'' She said, ''He was you good deeds, which you weakened to such an extant that they had no power to defend you. Therefore, O my father, repent and turn towards Allah, and be not among those who will perish,'' Suddenly I woke up. I repented for my sins and turned to Allah.

The lesson we learn from this tory is that when young children die in infancy and their parents show patience and control of their emotions, it becomes a means of their salvation in the Hereafter. Allah Most High has taught us, when He tries us with an afflicton, to say: All praise is due to Allah. Truly, we are Allah's and truly unto Him is the return.
 
The Magic of White Garments:
It was the practice of Ibrahim Khawas (mercy be upon him) that whenever he set out on a journey to some place he neither informed anybody nor did anyone have any knowledge of it. All he took with him was a water cistern which he would use for wudhu. Hamid Aswad (mercy be upon him) said, ''Once I was in his company, sitting in the mosque when he took his water cistern and set out. I followed him. When we reached Qadsiya he asked me. ''Hamid ! where do you intend to go?'' I replied, ''I intened to visit the sacred city of Mecca.'' And further added, ''I shall, if Allah so Wills.'' After three days journeying, another young man joined us. He travelled a day and night but did not observe a single prayer. I informed Ibrahim of this. Ibrahim later asked the young man, ''Why have you not observed the prayers?'' He replied, ''The prayer is not obligatory on me.'' He asked, '' why? Are you not a Muslim?'' He answered, ''I am a Christian and in Christianity, I spend the time reposing my trust in God. My inner self had whispered that I had become perfect in the matter of trust. ''I refuted his claim and brought him o the wilderness, with the intention of testing his claim. Ibrahim however said nothing but walked on and advised me not to interfere and allow him to travel with us. He travelled on with us until we reached Battan Mard. There, Ibrahim asked the Christian, ''What is your name?'' He replied, ''My name is Abdul Masih! This is now the boundary of Mecca. The Almighty has prohibited the entry for those who scribe partners to Him''. Furthermore he recited to him a verse from the Qur'an; the translation of which means: "Those, who ascribe partners to Allah, are unclean. They should not even come near the Sacred Mosque. " The outcome of the test you wanted to give to your inner self is already apparent to you. So you should not enter Mecca. If we happen to see you there we will object to your presence. Hamid says, "We left him there and moved forward. We reached the sacred city of Mecca. As we passed by -Arafat, we saw Abdul Masih there; donned in the lhram. He came to us and fell down at the feet of Ibrahim. Ibrahim asked him, "O Abdul Masih! What happened to you?" He asked Ibrahim not to call him by this name, as he was not the servant of the Masih but a slave of that Being whose slave was also the Masih (Peace be upon him). Ibrahim then asked him what had brought this change on. He related, ", I sat down at the place where you left me. When another caravan of Muslims passed by, I could not help myself noticing the simple white garments in which they were dressed. Overcome by this, I decided to wear one too and Joined them in their company. On reaching the sacred city of Mecca I saw the House of Allah. At once my previous beliefs had paled into insignificance. I washed myself, became a Muslim and adopted the Ihram. I have been looking for you since the morning.'' Thereafter, he remained together with us until he breathed his last.

The fruit of Belief and Tawakkul:

Malik b. Dinar (mercy be upon him) says, ''I was on my way to Mecca for the performance of Hajj. When I saw a young boy on foot. He neither had any means of transport nor provision for the journey. I paid him salutation to which he responded. I said ''O young boy, from where are you coming?'' He replied, ''From Him (God). ''Taken back by his reply, I asked him about him about his destination, to which he replied he was returning to God. I asked him, ''So where are your provisions of food and water?'' The young boy relied, ''I had , at the outset of my journey, some words as the provision of my journey.'' I asked him what these words were. He told me: ''These are: Ka'f - Ha' - Ya'- Ain - Saad - the Holy commandments of the Almighty God.' He further explained the words, ''Ka'f - The Sufficient; Ha'- The Guide; Ya'- The Protector; 'Ain - Knower of all things and Saad - The True To His Promise. Thus  a man, the companion of whom is One Who is Sufficient, the unerring guide, the Protector, the Knower of all things and the true (True of His Words), can never be ruined or entertained by any fear. Can such a person bother another for the carriage of any provision and water during the course of his journey?''
 
Malik further says, ;; I wanted to give the young boy mt clothes but he refused to take them. The boy replied, ''In the Hereafter, we will be answerable for the permissible things of the world and will have to suffer punishment for the forbidden things.'' When the darkness of night spread over, the young boy turned his face towards the sky and prayed to Allah by uttering these words, 'O Allah! Favour me with that thing by which Thou art pleased, that is Obedience, and forgive me that thing which caused Thou no loss, that is Sin'. After this, the people put on their ihram and began to recite the words: ''Here I am to do Thou bidding my Lord!'' The young man remained silent. I asked him, ''Why don't you declare the same?'' He replied, ''I am afraid of the response that ''I neither want to talk to you or pay any attention to you- (i.e. Him not being worthy of service to Allah) After this, he was not seen during the journey. At last, he was spotted in Mina where he recited some poetic verses,
 
'The Beloved, Who is keen to shed my blood, has every right to shed my blood in haram or outside haram. By God! If my soul comes to know with Whom it is related, it may stand headlong instead on foot. O Censurer! Do not censure me for being entangled in His love. If you happen to see, what I am seeing, you would never dare to talk like this. On the day of 'Id the people scarified sheep and goats in the way of Allah but the lover of Allah scarified his life in His way. The people have performed the Hajj but my Hajj is that, I have been able to acquire tranquillity. The people have scarified sheep and goats but I scarified my blood and soul. After this he prayed, "The people have gained access to thee by sacrifices. I have nothing to sacrifice save my soul. I offer it to thee for acceptance'. Thereupon he screamed and fell to the ground. He later died. Malik after witnessing this incident said, "I performed the burial of the young boy and remained anxious and thoughtful about him the whole night. When I fell asleep I saw him in a dream. I asked him, 'What had happened to you?' He replied, 'As had happened with the martyrs of Badr"'.
 
Words of the All-Mighty:

Mansoor Bin Amar  relates that once I saw a young man praying Salah for a considerably long time. I thought to myself perhaps this young man is a 'Wali' of Allah. So I decided to wait till he finished. Once he had finisged, I greeted him with Salaam which hw reciprocated. I asked him whether he knew of the valley in Jahanam called 'Laza'. I mentioned a fire bursting forth into flames; so fierce that ir burns the scalp and sucks up the liver from within those who turned their back. The young man screamed and fell unconscious. When he gained consciousness he said, ''Tell me more''. I continued saying, ;; Oh believers save yourself and your families from that fire whose fuel is men and stones and upon it are appointed angels, harsh and terrible; they do not disobey God in what He commands them and do whatever they are commanded''. On hearing this he fell to the ground and died. On the following night I saw him in a dream sitting on a thrown with a crown on his head. I asked , ''What did Allah do with you.'' He replied, ''Allah forgave me and gave me the reward equal to the reward of the people of Badr and more.''
 
Startled at his response I again asked, ''Why did He give you more?" He said, "Because they (the martyrs of Badr) were killed with the non-believers sword, while I was killed by the words of the Almighty".

Blessings in the grave:

It has been related from those who used to dig graves that once a grave was dug in some city.In this particular grave a man appeared, sitting on a throne. On seeing this, the gravedigger ran and fell unconscious. His companions, not knowing what had happened carried him away. When night fell, he came round and related the whole incident. Obviously intrigued with what they had heard the companions requested the man to point out the grave in order that they may experience themselves this unusual phenomena for themselves. He agreed to show them at first light, so his companions lay in wait for daybreak. That night he saw the same man from the grave in a dream warning him, "I swear by Allah if you show anybody my grave you will receive great punishment." The man awoke sweating and breathless. He realised the location of the grave should not be disclosed. He repented and refused to show anyone. This angered the people but despite their anger the grave digger would not disclose the site of the grave. They were never to know were the grave was.
 
Dreams:
Rabi bin Sulaiman relates that I saw Imam Ash-Shafi' in my dreams after his death and I asked ''Oh Abu Abdullah how Allah deal with you . ''He replied ''He sat me down on a chair and showered me with diamonds.''
A Pious Saint relates that I saw Shaykh Abu Is-haak Ibraheem bin Ali bin Yusuf Al-Sherazi in a dream after his death, crowned and clothed in beautiful white garment. I asked, ''Where is this whiteness  appearing from?'' He replied, ''Honour of Obedience.'' Again I asked ''And the crown?'' He replied ''Honour of knowledge.''

Angels from Heavens:
It is related that when Sahl - bin Abdullah AI - Tustairi died, people flocked from all over to attend his funeral prayer. An elderly Jew, who lived nearby, was overwhelmed by the mass of people. When his eyes fell on the Janazah, he remarked, "Do you see what I see?" They asked, "What do you see?" He cried, "I see angels descending from the heaven taking blessings from it". Overcome by what he was witnessing, he confirmed his Faith in Allah and His Messenger.
Love of Seclusion:
It is related that some people said to Hasan al-Basri, "Oh Abu Saeed there is a man sitting behind a pillar here, whom we have never seen. Hasan al-Basri went to him and said, "Oh Abdullah, I see the love of seclusion has engulfed you. What prevents you from sitting with the people?" He replied, "A matter which has averted my attention from the people". He then asked "So what prevents you from sitting with Hasan al-Basri?" He again replied, "A matter which has averted my attention from Hasan al-Basri and the people." Hasan al-Basri enquired about this affair which was keeping the man away. The man asserted, "In the morning I look at the blessings of Allah and at the sins I have committed. I then occupy myself thanking Allah for the blessings and repenting from my sins". Hasanal-Basri said to him, "Oh Abdullah you are more knowledgeable and have better understanding than Hasan! Remain steadfast in your action."
Bedouin girl and the Love of Allah:
A pious man relates that in one of my journeys I once saw a young Bedouin girl. "Where do you stay?" I enquired "The jungle", she replied. "Do you not feel lonely?" I asked curiously. She answered, "Oh Shaykh, one who befriends Allah and keeps His company can never be lonely". I asked, "Where do you eat?" She replied, "Allah knows best from where He provides for His creation. He gives it to those who believe in Him". Then she went on to say, "The hearts that are alive with the recognition of Allah's oneness and have relented to His love, their food is the love of Allah and His Company".
Bishr and the People:
Abu Ali relates that a man by the name of Bishr passed by a group of people who were talking amongst themselves about his noble qualities. That is he sleeps very little during the night and only makes Iftaar once every three days. On hearing this Bishr was overwhelmed and reduced to tears and said, "I cannot remember that I have stayed awake one complete night and when I fast I break the fast the very same night it ends. But Allah through His Mercy puts in the hearts of people more than the servant actually worships".
Miracles:
A Pious Saint relates that our boat was crushed by strong tides and my wife and I were left clinging onto on a plank of wood. In this state she gave birth to a baby girl. She called out to me, "Thirst will kill me". I shouted back, "Allah is surely watching us." All of a sudden a man appeared floating on thin air holding a cistern before us. He said, "There is water in it, drink". I took it and we drank from it. The water was cool and scented. I asked, "Who are you?" "A servant of your Lord", he replied. I asked "How did you get to this stage?" He said, "I left my desires for His pleasure and now He has given me the ability to do this". Having said this he disappeared.
 
A Pious Saint relates that once we were in Askalaam and a young man visited us. He stayed for some time and talked to us. When we finished he prayed and then bid us farewell. He was going to Alexandria. I walked out of Askalaam with him and offered him a few dirhams, but he refused to accept. When I insisted, he took a handful of sand in his pot, added some water and then murmured something. Amazingly it turned into flour, He said: "One whose condition with his lord is like this, is he in need of Dirhams?
Fruits of Charity:
It is related that a woman often gave bread in charity to roadside beggars. She once set off on a journey to see  her husband on a nearby field with her child. As she passed by a meadow, a beast pounced on them. It swallowed the child and left the woman wounded. She cried out to her Lord in anguish and all of a sudden a hand appeared which hit the beast. The beast succumbed to this and choked out the child. A voice called out, "Take your child, You have been repaid a morsel for a morsel."
Abul-Hasan and the Thief:
Shaykh Abul - Hasan Noori relates that whilst he was once taking a bath, a thief made off with his clothes. After a while he saw the same thief returning with his clothes. He took back the garments and then realised that his hands had been paralysed. He had loss movement in both hands leaving him grieving. Upon receiving his garments Shaykh Abul - Hasan supplicated, "Oh Allah you have given back my clothes, so give back his hands." Immediately the thief was able to move his fingers and hands.
Reward of the Leper:
A pious man relates that a friend of mine was suffering from leprosy. He was affected by it so much that he had lost his fingers and toes and was rendered blind. I took and left him with the lepers. I would regularly visit him and take care of him. Once I forgot for a few days but when I remembered I came to see him immediately and told him that I had forgotten He remarked, "I have someone who never forgets". Taken back by this I said, "By Allah I did to remember", Once again he said; "I have someone who remembers me". Then he shouted. "Go from here you have diverted me, from the remembrance of Allah". After a few days the leper died, I look out a shroud which was slightly long. I cut the extra portion, shrouded and then buried him. One night I saw the leper in a dream. He was standing next to me, gallant and handsome. He said, "Take back your shroud, we are returning it to you. We have been given a shroud of silk". When I awoke the shroud was found placed next to my head.
The Sheppard and Ibrahim Adam:
Ibrabeem bin Adbam relates, once I passed by a shepherd and asked him, "Do you have any water or milk?" The shepherd raised himself and replied, "Yes, which would you like?" I said, "Water". He turned and walked up the hill. I followed. We reached a plateau, where several boulders had settled. He gently struck it with his staff and moved back, The boulde, cracked and water gushed forth.

I drank to my fill and also took the opportunity to fill my cistern. This amazed me. The shepherd watched and then said, "Do not be astonished. When a servant becomes Obedient to his Lord everything becomes subservient to him".
Sinless Barkh:
Ka'ab relates, once at the time of Prophet Musa (AS), there was a drought. The Bani Israeel aked him to pray for rain. Prophet Musa told them to come with him to the mountain. When they climbed the mountain he said to his People, "Whoever has committed a sin? then do not follow me " They all turned and walked back down the mountain except one man. He was blind from one eye and known to the people as Barkh. Prophet Musa asked him, "Did you not hear what I said?" "Yes" he replied. Prophet Musa again asked, "Have you never committed a sin?" Barkh paused and then replied, cannot remember committing a sin except for one, but I do not know whether it is regarded a sin. I will mention it to you and if it is a sin I shall return." Prophet Musa enquired, "What is it?" Barkh replied, "Once I happened to pass the door of a house which was open. I glanced in and saw somebody, but I was not able to tell whether it was a man or woman. I said to my eye, 'Out of my whole body you hurried to commit a sin, you cannot remain with me anymore', so I plucked out my eye. If this is a sin I will return." Prophet Musa assured him that he had not sinned and then told him to pray for rain. They prayed to Allah, "Oh Almighty, whatever You have does not finish. There is no end to your treasures you cannot be accused of being miserly. Oh Allah show us your mercy and send forth rain." The narrator states that they both walked home in the mud.
The Ethiopian Slave:
Abdullah bin Mubarak relates, "'Once while I was in Makkah, we were struck with a severe drought. It had not rained for weeks and all the people gathered in Masjid al-Haram to pray for rain. I was also amongst them sitting next to the gate of Banu Saiba.   An Ethiopian slave wearing tatty garments came and sat in front of me. I could hear him praying, "Oh Allah, bad deeds and sinning have frayed the faces and you have stopped showering us with your mercy to teach mankind a lesson. I ask you Oh Haleem, Oh Raheem, Oh One whose people know nothing except good. Send rain unto us this moment". He prayed until the clouds appeared and it rained. When he left I followed him to find out his whereabouts. On returning home I went to see Fudail bin Ayaz who asked me why I was depressed. I related the incident, he then insisted that I take him to this Young man. "It is late, let me find out more about him"' I told him. After Fajr, I went to see the slave and found an old man sitting at his door. On seeing him he recognised me. He welcomed me and then asked about my need. "I need a black slave", I asked. He replied, "I have many, take anyone you like". H, kept on calling the slaves one by one and I refused until he finally called out the one I was looking for He then refused to sell this slave' on the grounds that his presence brought many blessings. When I said, "Shall I return to sufyan Ath-Thari and Fudail bin Ayaz empty handed?" He accepted and said, your coming was a big thing Pay the price you like and take him" I purchased the slave, and headed towards Fudail's house. On the way he asked, "Why did you not Purchase a slave stronger than me I am weak and cannot serve you . My master showed you many that were stronger I said, ''By Allah, I am going to serve you, buy you a house and marry You off," He began to cry I asked, "What makes you cry?'' He said, "The only reason you are going to treat me like this is because you have seen my connection with my Lord ". He then asked if I could wait for him as he had some Rakats left over from last night. I informed him that Fudail's house is close from here, but he insisted, ''It is not good to delay the work of Allah''. He entered the Masjid and prayed. When he finished he asked me, ''Oh Abu Abdur Rahman, do you have a need?'' I said ''Why do you ask?'' He replied, ''To the Hereafter''. He then said, Life was good when the secret was between  my Lord and I. Now you know and then someone else will come to know. Know I am no longer in need of this life.'' He fell down and began to say ''Oh Allah take me know.'' I came close to him and found him still. He had passed away.
The Pious Barber:
The Pious Barber Abu Ja'far al-Hadad relates, "During a stay in Makkah my hair had grown long but I could not afford to cut it. I went to a barber who seemed to be a good man and asked him to cut my hair for the sake of Allah. The barber glanced at my messy hair and invited me forward. He trimmed away the locks up to the ears. Once he had finished he reached and handed over some dirhams. He said, "Take it. You'll need it". I was reluctant but he insisted. I took it on the condition of returning the whole amount at the first opportunity. I thanked him and left.

Later I met a friend outside the Haramain. He informed me that a friend of mine from Basra had left this bag containing 300 dirhams for me. I took the bag and gave it to the barber. The barber said, "Oh Shaykh, do you not have any shame? You told me to cut your hair for the sake of Allah and now you want me to  take the charge. Take the bag and may Allah forgive you.''
Khadir and the young man:
It is related that Abu - al - Abbas al-Khadir was once questioned by Abdullah' Have you come across a Wali of Allah that has a greater status than yours?'' ''Yes'' he replied. "I was once in Masjid-e- Nabawi, when I saw Abdur Razzak and a group of people around him listening to Ahadith. in the corner of the masjid was a young man sitting with his head on his knees." I asked him why are you not sitting with the People and listening to the Hadith of Rasulullah (SAW) from Abdur Ruzzak?" He did not raise his head or pay much attention and instead replied "There are those who listen from Abdur Razzak and there are those who directly listen from Razzak (One of the names of Allah), and not from His servant'' Khadir then asserted, "if what you say is the truth then who am I?'' ''Khadir". I therefore learnt there are many Auliyah who command an elevated position in the eyes of   Allah, but I am not aware of them.
Help from Khadir :
Ibraheem al-Khawwas relates, in my travels there was once an occasion when I felt so thirsty that I passed out. Some water was sprinkled to bring me round again. My eyes opened. I saw a man of outstanding beauty riding a grey horse. He offered me some water and requested that I accompany him on his horse. After a short while he enquired, "What do you see?" I surprisingly replied, "Mad'inah!" He then said, "Proceed to the Mosque and send Salam upon the Prophet (SAW) and tell him that your brother Khadir also sends you Salam.

A pious man relates, once I remained in the desert of Hijaz for a few days without any food. I desired to eat bread and lentils but thought, "I am in the middle of the desert the distance between it and the nearest country namely, Iraq seems too vast". I was still contemplating this when a Bedouln called from far, "lentils and bread". I turned immediately and advanced towards him and asked. "Do you have lentils?" "Yes." he replied. Consequently he laid his cloth and utensils on the ground and took out some bread and served lentils. He said, "Eat" and so I began to eat. Once I had completed my portion he insisted I ate some more, I therefore continued. Again when I had finished he maintained, "Eat" and so I continued. He persistently continued until the fourth time I stopped and said "I swear by the one who has sent you to me who are you?" He replied "Khadir" and then disappeared.
Allah the Provider :
It is related that a man would come every night to all ardent worshipper from amongst the worshippers of Al- Haram, with two pieces of bread with which he would break his fast. This devotee of Allah would not concern himself with anything but the remembrance of Allah. One day his nafs whispered to him, "You rely on this man for food and have forgotten the One who provides for the creation. What is this inattentiveness." When the man approached him with pieces of bread again, he did not accept them. The worshipper remained without food for three days and complained to Allah. That night in a dream he saw himself standing in front of Allah, and Allah asked "Why did you return what I sent for you with my servant?" He replied, "Oh Allah I felt I was -relying on somebody else besides you." Allah asked "Who sent him to you?" "You my Lord", he answered. "Who did you then take it from?" Allah asked. "From you Oh Allah" he replied. "Take it and do not repeat this again", Allah ordered him. He then saw the man who gave him bread standing in front of Allah. Allah asked, "Oh my servant why did you stop giving him his food?" He answered "Oh my Lord you know better than I." Allah enquired, "For whose sake did you not give it?" "For your sake", he replied. Allah proclaimed, "Keep giving and your reward will be Jannah.
Pearls from the sea :
Zun-Noon Misri relates, we once embarked on a ship and a handsome young man, whose face was gleaming with light also set out with us. During the voyage the owner of the ship lost a bag which contained his money. This led to a search of all the passengers on board. When the young man was approached, he leaped out of the ship into the water. Whilst we looked on he supplicated, "Oh Allah they have accused me. I take oath that you order every creature in the sea to raise their head with a pearl resting in their mouths." Zun- Noon further states that before the young man could complete his supplication we witnessed the creatures doing just as he had requested. The young man continued, "Oh Allah it is Ye we worship alone and Ye we seek help from." He then disappeared. After witnessing such a remarkable incident the narrator exclaimed, "The Hadith of Prophet (SAW) came to mind. There will always remain thirty people from among my Ummah whose hearts will be like the heart of Ibraheem. Every time one dies Allah will replace him." Perhaps the narrator believed this young man was one of them.
Benefits of Salam:
It is said that a young man was making tawaf of the Ka'ba. At the same time he was engaged in sending Salaam on the Prophet (SAW). A man on hearing this inquired, "Do you know of any benefits of sending Salaam?" "Yes" he replied. "My father and I left for hajj, he fell sick on the way and died. His face turned black, his eyes blue and his stomach had swollen up. I cried and said, "We belong to Allah and to him we return". That night when I went to, sleep I saw the Prophet (SAW) in my dream wearing white garments and smelling of a beautiful fragrance. He (SAW) came close to my father and wiped his hand over his face which turned as white as milk .The Prophet (SAW) then wiped his hands over my father's stomach and it returned to its previous state. He (SAW) was about to leave when I held onto his garment and asked, "I swear by the one who has sent You to my father as a mercy in an unknown land, who are you?" The Prophet (SAW) replied '.Do you not know me?" I am Mohammed (SAW) the Messenger of Allah. Your father spent his life in disobedience to Allah, concurrently he sent Salaam on me many a time. Allah states in the Qur' an, "If you remember me in times of ease then I will remember you in times of difficulty". When he was afflicted with this difficulty he asked for help and so Allah relieved him from his adversity".
Yaqeen:
Shaykh Fath al - Mowsily relates, once I saw a young boy walking through the jungle. It appeared as if he was uttering some words. I greeted him with Salaam and he replied accordingly. I inquired, "Where are you going ? ''He retorted, "To the house of Allah"' I further asked, ''What are you reciting?'' ''The Qur'an'' he replied. I remarked, ''You are at a tender age, it is not an obligation that you are required to fulfil.'' He said , ''I have witnessed death approach people younger than me and therefore would like to prepare if death was to knock on my door.'' I astoundingly commented, ''Your steps are small and your destination far.'' He responded, ''My duty is to take the step and it remains the responsibility of Allah to take me to my destination.'' I continued to ask, ''Where is you provision and conveyance (means of transport).'' He replied ''My Yakeen is my provision and my feet are my conveyance. ''I explained, ''I am asking you regarding bread and water. ''He replied ''Oh Shaykh if someone invited you to their house, would it be appropriate to take your own food?'' I exclaimed, ''No!'' ''Similarly, My Lord has invited His servant to His house, it is only the weakness of your Yakeen (certainty) that maked us carry provisions. I despite this. Do you think Allah will let me go to waste? ''Never.'' I replied. He then left. Sometime later I saw him in Makkah. He approached me and inquired, ''Oh Shaykh are you still of weak belief?''
Dirhams from the unseen:
A pious man relates, I was travelling with a caravan through a jungle when I saw a woman walking ahead. She appeared weak, so I thought that perhaps she was walking in front so that she is not left behind. I found a few dirhams in my pocket and gave them to her and said, "When the caravan stops come to me and I will ask the people to offer you some money", enabling her to purchase an animal to ride on. She stretched out her hands and showed me some dirhams clenched in her hands. She gave them to me and said "You took them from your pocket and I from the unseen".

Shaykh Abu Saeed al-Kharraz relates, once I entered Masjid al-Harram and noticed a man begging. He wore two torn, dirty garments. I thought, "People like him are a burden on the rest". Unexpectedly, he turned and looked at me, reciting the following verse from the Qur'an. "Know well that Allah Knows what is in your hearts, so be fearful of him". On hearing this, I immediately turned to Allah to forgive me for my evil thought. The man then called me and recited, "It is He who accepts repentance from His servants and pardons evils and knows what you do".
Fire of Hell:
It is related that Zainul Abideen would pray one thousand rakahs every night even if he were travelling When he performed ablution he would turn yellow and during prayer he would tremble. When asked, Why this happened to him, he responded, "Do you not know who I stand before?" If the wind blew he would fall down unconscious out of the fear of Allah. Once there was a fire in his house while he was prostrating in prayer. The people began to warn him, "Oh son of the messenger of Allah, FIRE! FIRE!" He did not raise his head until the fire had extinguished itself He was later asked why he did not respond to the cries of the people. He replied "The fire of hell had diverted my attention".
Water with the taste of Honey:
A pious man relates, whilst I was sitting next to the Ka'ba an old man with his face covered came and drank water from the well of Zam Zam using a container. I then drank what he had left over and found that it tasted of honey. I turned to see where he had gone, but he had left. The next day I came and sat next to the well, The old man came again with his face covered. On this occasion he drew out the water with a bucket and drank from it. As usual he left some behind which I drank. This time I found the water tasted of sweet milk. I had never tasted anything better.
Mercy of Allah:
Abu Abdullah al Jawhari relates, once I went for Hajj. On the night of Arafat at Muzdalifah I dreamt of two angels descending from heaven. One asked the other. "How many people made Wukoof (the stand before Allah) of Arafah this year . His companion replied, "600,000 of which only 6 peoples Hajj was accepted by Allah". When I heard this I wanted to cry out aloud. 'The first angel then inquired, "What did Allah do with he Hajj of the remaining pilgrims?" The second angel replied, "Allah looked at them with mercy and forgave 100,000 people for every one accepted Hajj'; thus accepted the Hajj of 600,000. "That is the Mercy of Allah, He bestows it on whomever He wills and the mercy of Allah is great'.

A pious man relates that once I left for hajj. On the way I slept under moonlit night, when I heard a voice of a weak man. "Oh Abu Ishaaq I have been waiting for you since yesterday. I went close to him and found that he was a very young thin man, close to death. He was surrounded by lots of flowers, some of which I had never seen before. I asked him where he was from. He, mentioned a town and then said, "I was living a life of luxury when my nafs demanded seclusion from it all, so I left, puzzled and confused to the jungles and now I am here on the verge of death. I prayed to Allah to send me a Wali of His and I hope you are him". I asked, "Do you have any parents?" he replied "Yes, I also have a brother and sisters". I further questioned, "Did you ever desire to meet them or remember them?" He replied, "Never except today, I wished to smell their fragrance. These wild beasts took pity on me. They cried and brought me these flowers". Ibraheem says, 'A big snake then came with a big narcissus in his  mouth and contended, "Remove your evil from him, Allah is aware of the condition of his friends and those that are obedient to him".

Ibraheem revealed, "On seeing this I fainted and when I came round the young man had died". I then fell asleep again, I woke up to realise that I was on the road to Makkah for Hajj. After I had completed he Hajj I went to the city the young man had mentioned. There I discovered a woman who resembled him. She had a pot of water in her hands. I approached her and confirmed her identity. I  then related the incident to her.
She asked, "So how did you find the young man? and then remarked, "I have been waiting three days for you". I mentioned the words of the young man, which were, "I wished to smell their fragrance"- She screamed, "The fragrance reached him". After this exclamation, she died. Later a few women came and took care of her burial.
The student of Shaykh Sirri:
A disciple of the great Sufl Shaykh Sirri relates Sirri once had a female student who's son visited an Alim. The Alim sent him to work the hand mill. On his way there the child fell into a lake and drowned. The Alim then informed Sirri about the incident. Sirri  accompanied his companions to see the mother. He related virtues of patience and of being content with fate. She wondered aloud, "What is the motive behind these words". He informed her that her son has drowned. She cried, "My son?" He replied, ''Yes''. She proclaimed, "Allah has not done this Sirri informed her that there is no doubt that her child has drowned. She demanded, "If what you say is true then take me to that place". They took her to the river, and showed her the place in which he had drowned. She called out, "Mohammad, Mohammad my son". All of a sudden he replied, "I am here mother". When she' heard his voice she went into the water, holding him by the she pulled him out and then took him home. Sirri turned to Junaid (one of the great Sufi Shaykhs') in amazement and asked, "What is this? "He said, this woman adorns herself with obedience to the creator and the blessing of that, if there is any matter concerning her, she is informed first of it, and because she was not informed that her son has drowned, she denied her son had died and said Allah has not done this".
Stroll in the Mountains:
Zun-Noon relates, whilst I was walking the mountains of Intakia I saw a girl who looked insane, wearing a gown made out of wool. I greeted her with Salaam. She replied accordingly and then said, "Are you Zun- Noon?" I replied, "How did you recognise me?" She replied, "Through Allah's recognition".

She then asked, "What is generosity?" I replied to her, "To give". She added, "That is in regards to worldly things. What is it in regards to Deen?" I replied, "To hasten to the obedience of the creator", She pursued, "When you hasten to the creator do you seek a reward?" I replied, "For every single deed, a reward multiplied by ten". "This is considered bad in love", she remarked. "Hasten to God in such a manner that when he looks into your heart he sees that you want nothing from him in return. Oh Zun Noon I have been waiting for 20 years but I am ashamed to ask fearing that I become like a bad labourer, one who wants his wage as soon as he has done his work. I work only to seek his honour and glory".

Sufyaan Thawri relates Shaibaan and I left for hajj On the way a lion came before us I said to Shaibaan, "Do you not see this lion that has come before us" Shaibaan responded, "Do not fear oh Sufyaan". As soon as the lion heard what Shaibaan said it came wagging its tale like a dog and Shaibaan began to rub its ear. I said, "What is this glory?" He replied "This is not a glory Oh Thawri, if I did not fear fame I would have carried my provisions on his back to Makkah.

A pious saint relates, Once I was very angry with my nafs. I said to it that I am going to throw it in some place of destruction. I used to live near a jungle in which was a den of lions and I went and lay in the midst of two cubs, hoping to be devoured by their parents. After a short while their father came carrying a piece of meat in his mouth. When he saw me he threw the meat n i and sat a distance from me. Then their mother came, carrying a piece of meat.   She too threw the meat, roared and came to attack me, but the lion stopped her with his head. She sat down with the father and both of them did not move. After a while the lion walked towards me and one by one carried the cubs to their mother.
Article taken (with Thanks) from inter-islam.org