Alaah says in Surah Nahal Ayat no 125
Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.
This Ayats say that the way of arguementation should be the best.For argumentation to be best it should be positive meaningful and Productive.
Thats why Prophet S.A.W. has Prohibited needless Argumentation and unnecessary asking.
The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam has said in this hadith recorded
(Ibn Kathir from Abi Hurairah, (recorded in Saheeh muslim Shareef)
Translation taken from english tafseer Maariful Quran by Mufti Taqi Usmani
«إِنَّ اللهَ يَرْضَى لَكُمْ ثَلَاثًا، وَيَسْخَطُ لَكُمْ ثَلَاثًا: يَرْضَى لَكُمْ أَنْ تَعْبُدُوهُ وَلَا تُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْئًا، وَأَنْ تَعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُوا،وَأَنْ تَنَاصَحُوا مَنْ وَلَّاهُ اللهُ أَمْرَكُمْ. وَيَسْخَطُ لَكُمْ ثَلَاثًا: قِيلَ وَقَالَ، وَكَثْرَةَ السُّؤَالِ، وَإِضَاعَةَ الْمَال»
“that there are three things Allah Almighty h a s liked for you while there are three others He has disliked.”
The ones He has liked are as follows:
1. That your worship should be for Allah alone a n d t h a t you should not attribute partne r s to His divinity.
2. That you should hold on to the Book of Allah firmly and avoid disunity.
3. That you should have goodwill for those in authority from among you.
The three things which cause Allah's displeasure are
1. Unnecessary argumentation.
2. Needless asking.
3. Wastage of resources.
Harmful Effect of Excessive discussion and debate
1.Excessive Discussions and debates hamper the ability of a person to carry out (good) actions.
Rasulullaah (sallAllaahu alaihi wasallam) said:
“That nation is not led astray after the guidance has been brought to them, except when they are given to arguments.”
It is reported in Musnad-e-Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and Mustadrak Haakim
2. Another point is that by having too many discussions and debates, generally, people‟s enthusiasm to understand is plagued, and they are more desirous of having their views and opinions accepted.
3. Also, that person who is not very well learned in the Shariah, tends to get carried away and does not give due consideration to the limits of the Shariah.
4. At times in such discussions a person may slur and revile an accepted servant of Al laah Ta`ala‟s, hence blackening his Book of Deeds.
A combination of all these factors, not only deprives one of the virtue of good actions, in fact, one‟s mental ability and tendency to accept the Haqq decreases gradually.
A Brief look on Internet/Facebook Discussion among Muslims.
1.Dr. Zakir Naik used to say that Non Muslim have 20 frequently asked questions.
same pattern is followed by Muslims on Islamic topics.There are hardly 15-20 topics. Most of them superficial and Ijtahadi topic where possibility of both version being correct.
2.Most of the time the topic of discussion will be much debated topic and again and again we will Revolve around same point.
3. Hardly any discussion will be on
How to revive Muslims????????????
How to educate them in Deen or Dunia.??????
How to remove evil from the society.???????
How to bring people on good???????????
Actually these were our original duty that we are not doing our job so preoccupied by unnecessary unnecessary job.
3. 90 % of the debator dont have the requisite knowledge and Ability to discuss the subject.
May Allah save all of us from making our book of deeds black